JOB TITLE: Recreational Therapist
DEPARTMENT: Med/Surg Charge RN
REPORTS TO: Rehabilitation Director
DEPARTMENT NUMBER: 610
Apply at snoqualmiehospital.org
OBJECTIVE SUMMARY: Recreation Therapy (RT) contributes to the rehabilitation process by improving and maintaining physical, cognitive, emotional, and social functioning of the patients. Patients are able to maximize their independence in the home, community, and work through RT treatments to utilize leisure interests as treatment, provide leisure education, and adapt the leisure needs of patients.
- The Recreation Therapist is a member of the multidisciplinary Rehabilitation Team and works together with other therapies to best serve the needs of patients in the swing bed program and medical/surgery unit as determined by the physician. Primary responsibilities include:
- Obtain Physician orders for recreation therapy services
- Complete initial evaluation within 72 hours of admission
- Develop patient-centered goals and care plan
- Complete weekly progress summaries forms
- Maintain documentation such as assessments, treatment, progress notes and care plans
- Provide clinical services including 1:1 treatments, group treatments, co-treatments with other disciplines and community outings
- Implement treatment interventions and frequency of visits based on patient’s assessed needs, abilities and limitations
- Provide community re-integration outings for patients when appropriate and in response to Physician order.
- Attend care planning meetings as part of the interdisciplinary team
- Develops and updates multidisciplinary treatment plans
- Provides community resource packet for patients and caregivers as needed or requested
- Provides/completes transportation applications as needed
- Provide leisure and community education to patient and/or family when appropriate
- Provide adapted leisure equipment as needed
- Educates/trains CNA staff in assistance of RT activities
- Supervise and coordinate activity staff and volunteers related to RT services
- Supervise and train RT students during internship at hospital
- Educate and advocate Recreation Therapy and Therapeutic Recreation services to patients, staff and community
- Attend and participate in professional workshops, conferences, and/or seminars to keep abreast of recent research and techniques as part of continuing education
REQUIRED EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Recreation Therapy or Therapeutic Recreation PREFERRED EDUCATION: Same as above
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE: Completion of coursework and clinical internships
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: 1-2 years of experience working with physical disabilities
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY QUALIFICATIONS: Certification as a Certified Therapeutic Recreational Specialist (CTRS) by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC). Must be registered with the State as a CTRS.
- Ability to work well with others
- Work in a collaborative effort with employees within the department and in other departments
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to problem solve independently when circumstances warrant such action
- Must be flexible and have organizational skills
- Provide quality customer service to patients, visitors, general public, media and fellow employees
- Consistently treat patients with dignity and respect
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Hospital inpatient therapy environments. Potential exposure to infectious diseases. Potential need to function in medical emergencies and incidents. Outreach in Community.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Lifting ability of up to 25 lbs. with proper technique. Lifting and positioning of patients. Working with people that are frustrated or depressed due to their lack of functional ability or other issues. Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
OTHER DUTIES – Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
1.25 – Recreation Therapist
Responsible for facilitating a patient’s participation in a comprehensive Therapeutic Recreation Program as part of an overall Rehabilitation Program
- Evaluates a patient’s leisure lifestyle and provides goals and objectives directed at a therapeutically designed recreation/leisure orientated treatment which assist patients in attaining optimum level of functioning
- Requires a BS in Therapeutic Recreation and typically national certification as a C.T.R.S
- JOB POSTING: DSHS WSH Recreation Therapist 2, Lakewood, WA
- JOB POSTING: Recreation Therapist, Palmer, Alaska