Recreation Therapist 2
More information: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/2709538/dshs-esh-recreation-therapist-2?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs&fbclid=IwAR0EspkUYoCZdPGqGKY8qmVysLqS6xi5Zx4884SvYl0rRdOWKs4GXqURr28
Join our team in a role where you are valued and have the ability to strengthen the importance of Therapeutic Recreation in psychiatric rehabilitation as a Recreation Therapist at Eastern State Hospital (ESH)
Our specific need is for someone who has a passion for supporting rehabilitation through therapy for adults (age 50 and older) on our geropsychiatric units.
Recreation Therapists assess, plan, document, and evaluate therapeutic recreation services. They also facilitate/provide active treatment programs/interventions weekly encompassing the four realms: physical, affective, social, and cognitive on the assigned ward and/or at the designated Treatment Mall for GPU wards.
Some of what you’ll do:
- Provide therapeutic recreation assessments to identify patients functional and leisure needs, strengths and abilities for treatment team formulation
- Evaluate and observation of patient’s leisure participation
- Document progress and outcomes of treatment interventions
- Develop age and population therapeutic recreation clinical programs
- Provide 12-20 hours a week of active treatment interventions for assigned population
What we are looking for:
- Knowledge of mental illness and recovery principles
- Ability to work with difficult or angry patients in a therapeutic, non threatening manner
- Be skillful in group facilitation, developing therapeutic relationship, and assessing patient functioning and need
- Have strength in communicating with the different disciplines of a treatment team and hospital staff
- Be skilled in managing self in a compassionate, professional, organized, time sensitive, flexible manner with willingness to learn on the job
Who should apply?
Professionals with a National Certification through the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS)
Washington State Department of Health registration as a Recreation Therapist
A Washington State Department of Health Food Handler’s Permit within 14 days of hire.
*Degrees from an accredited Therapeutic Recreation Program and 18 months of professional recreation experience is preferred
Questions? Please contact a DSHS Recruiter at (509) 363-4925 and reference #01319Supplemental Information
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history may be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the job. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver’s license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Washington State Department of Social & Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in any area of employment, its programs or services on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at (360) 725-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384.