Join our team in a role where you are valued and have the ability to strengthen the importance of Therapeutic Recreation in psychiatric rehabilitation as a Recreation Therapist at Eastern State Hospital (ESH)
Our specific need is for someone who has a passion for supporting rehabilitation through therapy for adults age 50 and older on our geropsychiatric units.
Recreation Therapists assess, plan, document, and evaluate therapeutic recreation services. They also facilitate/provide active treatment programs/interventions weekly encompassing the four realms: physical, affective, social, and cognitive on the assigned ward and/or at the designated Treatment Mall for GPU wards.
Some of what you’ll do:
- Provide therapeutic recreation assessments to identify patients functional and leisure needs, strengths and abilities for treatment team formulation
- Evaluate and observation of patient’s leisure participation
- Document progress and outcomes of treatment interventions
- Develop age and population therapeutic recreation clinical programs
- Provide 12-20 hours a week of active treatment interventions for assigned population
What we are looking for:
- Knowledge of mental illness and recovery principles
- Ability to work with difficult or angry patients in a therapeutic, non threatening manner
- Be skillful in group facilitation, developing therapeutic relationship, and assessing patient functioning and need
- Have strength in communicating with the different disciplines of a treatment team and hospital staff
- Be skilled in managing self in a compassionate, professional, organized, time sensitive, flexible manner with willingness to learn on the job
Who should apply?
Professionals with the following:
- A degree from an accredited Therapeutic Recreation Program and 18 months of professional recreation experience is preferred
- National Certification through the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS)
- Washington State Department of Health registration as a Recreation Therapist
- A Washington State Department of Health Food Handler’s Permit within 14 days of hire.
This announcement has been reopened to allow for additional applicants. If you have already applied for this job, you do not need to apply again– your status remains unchanged.
- JOB POSTING: Recreation Therapist, Eastern State Hospital, Medical Lake, WA
- IMPORTANT – CONFERENCE POSTPONED!