The Recreational Therapist is responsible for facilitating recreational based treatment programs for people with mental illness and chemical dependency. The Certified Recreation Therapist will ensure the program is appropriate to the needs and interest of patients and is directed toward restoring and maintaining optimal levels of physical and psychosocial functioning. Establish and run a therapeutic recreational therapy program with clinical guidelines and modalities recognized and accepted by the field and Plan, acquire and maintain adequate inventory of materials and equipment used in the programs
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and possess the ability to communicate effectively with patients, families, physicians, peers, clinical and non-clinical staff, supervisors and managers.
- Must possess the ability to work alone and be able to accomplish patient goals without direct supervision.
- Ability to understand and address expectations and provide excellence in care and service consistent with the organization’s mission, vision, values and behavioral standards.
- Working knowledge or self-initiative to become knowledgeable of applicable local, state, and federal laws and accreditation standards as applicable to the role.
- Must be able to communicate in English both verbally and in writing, in a way that is understood by patients, and others related to the mental health care team.
- At least 6 months of Recreational Therapist/Therapeutic Recreation experience in a clinical setting preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Leisure Administration, Recreational Management, and or emphasis in Therapeutic Recreation.
Eligible to sit for National Certification exam.
National CTRS required within 6 months to 1 year of hire.
- Current Washington State Recreational Therapy licensure or Agency Affiliated registration with the Washington State Department of Health within 30 days of hire.
- Current Health Care Provider or Professional Rescuer CPR Certification and First Aid
- Crisis prevention training on hire and ongoing
- JOB POSTING: On-call/per diem Recreational Therapist, Inpatient Mental Health Unit at Swedish Edmonds
- Join the WSTRA Board