JOB POSTING: Memory Loss Program Coordinator, Phinney Ridge/north central Seattle, WA
Memory Loss Program Coordinator Job Announcement
The mission of the Phinney Neighborhood Association (PNA) is to build, engage and support our diverse community through programs, services and activities that connect neighbors and foster civic engagement.
Headquartered in a former elementary school, the PNA has developed an active community center that not only serves as a focus of the Phinney/Greenwood neighborhood, but offers programs and activities that reach far beyond the immediate neighborhood, at five different sites in Phinney, Greenwood and Ballard. Current programs include four preschool cooperatives, a licensed preschool and school age program at Whittier Elementary, a hot meal program, programs for seniors, including the Greenwood Senior Center, PNA Village, a Community Technology Center, an art gallery, a tool lending library, a community education program, a business membership program, family memberships, room rentals, and countless special events that bring friends and neighbors together. We co-sponsor a summer farmer’s market and weekly contra dancing and folk music concerts. PNA serves over 20,000 people each year, has 70 staff, 1,500 volunteers and an annual budget of $2.9 million.
About the Greenwood Senior Center
The PNA’s Greenwood Senior Center serves a growing number of neighborhood and city-wide seniors with a wide variety of programming and services that are essential to keeping healthy, active and independent life. The senior center has become a community resource on aging issues, collaborating with community organizations, nonprofits, medical providers and neighborhood businesses to be both a good neighbor and an effective organization. In 2015 over 2,200 seniors, ages 55 – 95, visited the Senior Center more than 19,000 times, participating in daily hot meals, social work services, classes, lectures, visits by health professionals, financial, tax or legal professionals, and numerous club, craft, musical, arts, social and recreational events.
This is a 17 hour a week position that will focus on developing, coordinating, and facilitating the Gathering Place, a twice weekly enrichment program for persons living with Early Stage Memory Loss (ESML). Additional duties will include initiating and administrating additional memory loss programs at the GSC. This position will report to the GSC Social Worker.
The PNA is seeking a creative, dementia friendly program professional to facilitate our cutting edge, flagship ESML program, The Gathering Place and champion additional Memory Loss programs. http://phinneycenter.org/gsc/social.html#memory
- The Gathering Place – Develop curriculum, facilitate and administrate the 3 hour program twice a week. Maintain participant and program notes. Consult with the social worker to assist as needed with participant intake, participant transitions and referrals to other programs. Coordinate and supervise program volunteers and instructors. Obtain all materials and supplies. Develop and maintain community partnerships and liaise with community organizations that offer arts and cultural enrichment opportunities.
- Support additional memory loss programs, including a monthly Alzheimer’s Café and ongoing Memory Loss Song Circle.
- Assist with planning new memory loss programs.
- Maintain a working knowledge of relevant Memory Loss programs in the community and help represent the senior center at city-wide Dementia Friendly programming/events.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Education or experience in working with people living with dementia required.
- Bachelors in Social Work or BA in a related field with professional experience with elders.
- Minimum two years of experience in small group facilitation or teaching.
- Minimum two years program management.
- Organized with strong communication skills.
- Team player who is also confident working independently.
- Experience coordinating and supervising volunteers.
- Must be able to lift 25 lb includes room set-up and take down.
This is a part-time hourly position paying $19/hr. Schedule: required – 2nd Monday of the month, 1 – 5pm, every Tuesday 10am – 5pm and Thursday 10 – 5pm. Additional hours are flexible. Benefits include: 401(k) plan with employer match; self-paid Aflac products; self-paid ORCA pass; 2.5 weeks personal time off the first year, increasing annually; Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day off; and paid holidays. We offer a convivial, positive and flexible working environment. The PNA is an Equal Opportunity Employer working towards a culturally diverse work place. Applicants representing the diversity of our community are encouraged to apply.
Please email a cover letter indicating your interest, how your skills and experience match the key responsibilities, and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 18.
Questions can be directed to Cecily Kaplan, Senior Programs Director at email@example.com
- Looking for Therapeutic Recreation program (or CTRS) in Ellensburg, WA area
- JOB POSTING: Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, Seattle Children’s Hospital