DSHS ESH Recreation Therapist 2
Join our team at Eastern State Hospital (ESH), where patient impact thrives from collaboration and you have the ability to strengthen the importance of Therapeutic Recreation as a Recreation Therapist.
Our specific need is for an individual who has a passion for supporting rehabilitation through therapy as a Certified Recreation Therapist for our Forensic Services Unit. FSU is currently a 145 bed inpatient unit for patients who enter the forensic (legal) unit in the hospital through the criminal justice system. Evaluation and treatment services are provided for adults prior to their trial, after they are convicted, or after they are acquitted by reason of insanity. This position will allow you to work with patients on the Forensic Service Unit and with a number of other Recreation Therapists.
Some of what you’ll do:
- Provide Therapeutic Recreation assessment
- Document & evaluate patient’s response/outcomes to the plan in the patient’s medical records
- Facilitate and provide 12-15 hours of active treatment programs/interventions per week for assigned ward, unit, or population.
- Develop age & population appropriate therapeutic recreation clinical programs
- Adhere to the mission, scope and standards practice of the Recreation Therapist profession
- Develop and write programs in an Eastern State Hospital (ESH) Rehabilitation Services approved program design format with goals & interventions
- Serve as a member of committees as appointed representative of rehabilitation services.
What we are looking for:
- Strength in communicating with the different disciplines of a treatment team and hospital staff.
- Experience in intervening and de-escalating crisis/ dangerous situations.
- Knowledge of all hospital, state, and federal regulatory standards, policies and procedures.
- Be skilled in managing self in a compassionate, professional, organized, time sensitive, flexible manner with willingness to learn on the job.
- Ability to work with difficult or angry patients in a therapeutic, non-threatening manner.
Who should apply?
Professionals who have:
- Graduated from an accredited Therapeutic Recreation Program AND 18 months of professional therapeutic recreation experience OR Equivalent education/experience.
- National Certification through the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS)
- Washington State Department of Health registration as a Recreation Therapist
Questions about this opportunity? Please contact Ebony Ware at email@example.com and reference job number 01712.
- 2021 Student and Professional Virtual Social Hour; Tuesday, March 9 at 5:30 p.m. PST; via ZOOM
- Nova Scotia Therapeutic Recreation Association’s Southwestern Zone Call for Presentations!