DSHS Recreation & Athletics Specialist 2
- $2,925.00 – $3,807.00 Monthly $2,925.00 – $3,807.00 Monthly
- Spokane County – Medical Lake, WA Spokane County – Medical Lake, WA
- Job Type
- Full Time – Permanent
- Dept. of Social and Health Services
- Job Number
- 2016-11463 KJ76E
- The Department of Social and Health Services’ Behavioral Health Administration is seeking to hire a Recreation and Athletic Specialist 2 to join our team at Eastern State Hospital. If you are passionate about recreation and inspiring people with mental illness, please keep reading.
This is a permanent, full-time, opportunity to provide innovative care through recreation and training to individuals with mental illness. You will be able develop strong recreational expertise by having a comprehensive understanding of the full process to empowering the individuals we serve through Recreation and Athletic planning.
As the Recreation and Athletic Specialist 2, you will be a member of a supportive team that is committed to using creative ideas to improve, grow, and inspire. Everyday the program is evolving and changing to strengthen our patients’ quality of life at Eastern State Hospital.
The ideal candidate will have the required education and experience as well as be organized, innovative, a team player, and have great communication skills.
This is not just a job, this is a great chance to develop skills, impact lives, and provide service that makes a difference.
Eastern State Hospital is a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year hospital, with three psychiatric hospital wards (Forensic Services Unit, Adult Psychiatric Unit, and Geropsychiatric Unit). To learn more about Eastern State Hospital and how our staff make a difference in transforming lives visit Eastern State Hospital online.Key responsibilities include:
We are looking for applicants who have a Bachelor degree involving major study in either (a)recreation or therapeutic recreation, (b) music, drama, or physical education, or (c) psychology, sociology, or education with a minor in recreation, physical education, music or drama; AND at least one (1) year of PAID professional recreation experience.
- Organize, plan, and implement groups and/or individual recreational activities, special events, ward activities and community readiness re-integration programs.
- Facilitate/provide a minimum of 20 hours of Therapeutic recreation activities/groups per week for designated population(s).
- Implement and participate in recreation/leisure programs designed to enhance, remediate, or rehabilitate physical and mental ability; setting up and cleaning up event areas, providing adequate supplies and materials while maintaining client safety at all times.
- Meet with staff from assigned areas to identify, develop, and plan recreation and leisure activities to meet client specific needs, abilities and interests. This includes developing a monthly calendar which utilizes campus events, community outings, and on-unit activities.
- Assist unit staff in accessing resources and completing paperwork for activities and coordinate and set up campus recreational events; book and pay entertainers and campus advertising.
- Implement specialized sports programs assessing clients for current skill levels.
- Escort clients to activity/event sites on or off campus; lead on-unit recreational and leisure activities; assist living unit staff with implementing community outings.
- Encourage unit staff to model appropriate skills, while interacting with clients that emphasize skill acquisition, communication, socialization and choice making by using an interactive hands-on approach.
- Monitor and evaluate program effectiveness and make changes as needed.
OROne year of experience as a Recreation and Athletics Specialist 1Note: Recreational therapy includes providing individualized assessments and treatment which are goal oriented and directed towards rehabilitation and modification of specific physical, emotional, mental or social behaviors.
How to Apply – www.careers.wa.gov
Submit a complete application, and answer the supplemental questions.
- Supplemental Information
Some jobs may require full criminal background check. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver’s license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Washington State Department of Social & Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at (360) 725-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.For questions about job number 11463 please contact Sharon Sterling at (360) 725-586 or via email Sharon.email@example.com.
- JOB POSTING – Adaptive Sports NW, Youth Program Manager and Adult Program Manager, Portland
- JOB POSTING: Specialist Assistant The Tavon Center – Specialty Program – Issaquah, WA